Breakfast in Bed, Fried Eggs with Yogurt and Chili Garlic Oil
Jessica Schramm for Parachute
Add big, bold flavor to your morning with this Turkish-inspired egg dish that our own, Jessica Schramm, brought home from her travels through Europe last summer. Since sampling new food abroad is temporarily on hold, we’ve been looking for ways to reinvigorate our staple meals with rich, transportive flavors. This dish, made with a few simple ingredients you may already have at home (or are sure to find even in the driest market), will spice up any morning and have you daydreaming of all the new destinations you’ll visit in the future. Extend the life of these ingredients by saving any leftover chili oil, or make extra - you’ll want to drizzle it on pizza, soups, roasted veggies...practically everything. Bon appetit!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of crushed chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Soft herbs (such as dill, cilantro, mint, parsley)
- Heat the olive oil on low in a small skillet or saucepan. Peel your garlic cloves and smash with the side of your knife. Add the garlic and chili flakes to the oil. Warm for 5 minutes or so as you prepare the remaining ingredients. If the garlic begins to brown, remove from heat. Transfer to a clean, lidded jar and store at room temperature for up to a month.
- Mix yogurt in a bowl with a pinch of salt and lemon zest and juice. Divide the yogurt mixture onto two shallow bowls or plates using the back of a spoon to spread it out.
- Cover the bottom of a small skillet with a thin layer of olive oil. Heat over medium-high until shimmering, about one minute. Crack your eggs into skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally to keep the eggs from sticking together (a rubber spatula can help too if needed), until the edges are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully tilt the pan towards you and using a large soup spoon, baste the egg whites a few times with the hot oil, until they’re set, about one minute more.
- Serve eggs on top of the yogurt, garnish with fresh torn herbs and drizzle the chili oil over the top. Crusty bread, or pita would be a welcomed addition. Enjoy immediately!