Breakfast in Bed: ‘Put an Egg on it’ Salad
Breakfast in bed is a simple way to elevate your morning…but sometimes it takes forever. Well, not this weekend, friends! We’re big fans of simple, healthy recipes. Less time over the stove, more time under the covers. Here’s a fast and easy crowdpleaser to start your day, care of private chef, Tehra Turnbaugh Thorp. With images by Jessie Webster, the next in our Breakfast in Bed series is a “Put an Egg on it” Breakfast Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette.
- 1 egg, over-easy
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 red onion, sliced & soaked in cold water to remove some of the pungency
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 slices bacon, cooked & broken into pieces, reserve bacon fat
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 tbsp reserved bacon fat
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1 sprig of thyme, de-stemmed
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation and Cooking
- Make vinaigrette by combining bacon fat, vinegar, shallot, thyme and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Slowly drizzle in grape seed oil while whisking to emulsify.
- **If you are having trouble with your emulsion, stop whisking in oil and add some course salt, then start pouring again. The salt granules will act as a double whisking agent.
- To make the salad, drain the onions and combine with the arugula, tomatoes, bacon and avocado in a bowl.
- Drizzle some of the vinaigrette on the salad and toss.
- Top with an over-easy egg and enjoy!