Breakfast in Bed: Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
Welcome back to our Breakfast in Bed blog series, featuring scrumptious recipes simple enough to make at home. We turned to private chef, Tehra Turnbaugh Thorp to share her favorite morning meals. With images by Jessie Webster, next in our Breakfast in Bed series is a recipe for Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls with Orange and Pecan.
My mother was the type who insisted on a meal having nutritional benefit (something beyond bliss should be in those double fudge brownies, for example). That’s why in our family we had orange cinnamon rolls. Here’s my zesty take on this otherwise sugary-sweet breakfast treat.
- 1 prepared puff pastry
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tbs butter, plus more for buttering tin
- zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
Preparation and Cooking
- Defrost and roll out the puff pastry as a single sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tins by buttering each tin well.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and pecan pieces. Thoroughly mash in butter.
- Spread mixture evenly on sheet of puff pastry and roll. Once rolled, cut into 2” pieces and place into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in 375 degree oven. Let cool before glazing.
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 c fresh squeezed orange juice
- Pour the orange juice into a medium sized bowl.
- Press powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) through a sieve to eliminate any lumps. Whisk orange juice and sugar to create orange glaze.
- Whip cream cheese and add orange glaze.
- Drizzle over the top of the cooled cinnamon buns.