Source: Nothing But Nets
When you buy Parachute Bedding, you don’t just get great sleep, you give safe sleep, too. Since our start, we’ve partnered with Nothing But Nets – a global campaign that raises awareness of malaria and the funds to help prevent it.
Nothing But Nets was created in 2006 by the United Nations Foundation after sportswriter Rick Reilly published a column about malaria in Sports Illustrated. In the piece, Reilly highlighted the importance of sending insecticide-treated bed nets – which can reduce rates of malaria by 90% – to people and countries affected by the disease. He called on readers to donate at least $10, the cost it takes to send one bed net. Since then, Nothing But Nets has grown exponentially, raising more than $60 million and sending more than ten million bed nets to sub-Saharan Africa.
The Stats on Malaria
- A child dies every two minutes from malaria, resulting in about 1,200 deaths per day.
- About 90% of malaria deaths occur in Africa.
- Children and pregnant women are the most vulnerable to contracting the disease.
Why We Partner with Nothing But Nets
- They are doing good on a global scale: Nothing But Nets is an organization that shares our brand commitment to giving back to those in need and allows us to expand our reach in a different and meaningful way.
- They are making a tangible difference: Just a few years ago, a child died every 30 seconds from malaria and about 3,000 people died per day. These numbers have dropped due, in part, to Nothing But Nets’ work.
- They continue to do amazing work: Nothing But Nets is currently working to fulfill its Million Nets Pledge, a two-year effort to send one million nets to refugee families in Africa. The campaign, which concludes at the end of 2016, surpassed its halfway mark in April, putting the organization well on track to meet its goal.
What You Can Do to Help
- Buy a Parachute Venice Set: As part of our work with Nothing But Nets, we send one life-saving bed net for every one of our signature Venice Bedding Sets sold. That means we’ve contributed over 23,000 nets so far in 2017 – a number that will surely continue to grow!
- Easily donate $10: We enable all customers to make a quick, one-time donation of $10 at check out whether they are purchasing a Venice Set or not.
- Visit Nothing But Nets’ website: If you’re feeling extra generous, gifts of any size can be given via the organization’s website. They also supply additional information on malaria and their ongoing effort to combat the disease.
Providing better sleep – to both customers and those who benefit from Nothing But Nets’ mission – has always been Parachute’s objective, and it’s something we continue to strive toward every day and night.